Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Present Opening not Present at Birthday Party?

While Peach's birthday party was a huge success, the one thing I question on my part was the handling of the presents. When I was growing up it was tradition to open presents at the party. At Peach's party I had planned on doing just that, but after we unleashed the sugar filled three year olds into the wilds of the bounce house, I could not see how we would ever get everyone back together again for presents. Also, there was no way the kids would sit for that long.

We decided to open the presents at home. I googled the etiquette on what would be the right thing to do, and it does not seem clear. On the one hand, if a child spent a lot of time picking out the present, they would certainly want to see the recipient's reaction. On the other, there are time constraints and some kids find present opening just boring. Also, there is always the fear that the kid opening the presents will say something inappropriate.

Apparently when I was five, I threw a fit at Christmas when I got clothes and everyone else got toys. Now I get to hear my cousins tell me this horrifying story over and over again.

My thoughts are that it is probably fine to open the gifts at home as long as thank you notes acknowleging the gift are sent out immediately. Perhaps when Peach is older and she can hold her attention for longer or if we have another home party we can attempt a present opening.

I'd love to hear what others think on this topic. Is it okay to open presents at home or should they always be opened at the party?

No comments:

Post a Comment